Apple Pie Filling
1/2 bushel tart pie apples (prepared) (I googled how many pounds a half bushel of apples is - 24 pounds, so calculate accordingly)In a large pot, mix together:
8 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups cornstarch
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
dash nutmeg
1 cube butter (optional)
Add 2 1/2 quarts water. Bring it to a boil and cook for about 1 minute or until it's thick and clear.
Put 1 1/2 cups sauce into each bottle.
Press apples into bottles leaving about 1 inch headspace. Clean top of jars, put on lids and process in a hot water bath for 30 minutes. Makes 9 - 10 quarts.
On the back of mom's recipe card I have changes to the recipe for the sauce for 2-3 pies (or quarts).
2 cups sugar
6 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
dash nutmeg
2 1/2 cups water
2 tbsp margarine/butter
Bring all to a boil and cook until thick. I don't have the amount of apples but by my calculations that's about 8 pounds of apples.
Bjorkman Thanksgivings of the Past (Photos by Adrienne):


No comments:
Post a Comment